The Archpriest’s Church of Santa Maria la Major
The best Mediterranean sacred art
The Archpriest’s Church of Santa Maria la Major is one of the most beautiful temples in the Mediterranean, a true jewel of religious Gothic. It brings together on the same façade two doors of great architectural and sculptural interest, that of the Apostles and that of the Virgins.
Inside, the choir staircase is masterfully coiled to one of the columns, the scene of the Last Judgement of the choir and the choir vault itself, highly lowered in defiance of the laws of architecture.
The nakedness of the stone typical of the Gothic churches contrasts with the high altar in the Churrigueresque style, whose Eucharist was accompanied by the still-preserved monumental organ, created by Turull, of the Aragonese school, in 1719. Today it can be enjoyed with the full sound from the organ’s more than 3,000 pipes, especially within the framework of the International Organ Music Festival that is held every August in Morella.
The Basilica also has a museum with outstanding works of painting and religious silversmithing. It is visited together with the entrance to the Basilica.
- Monday from 11am to 2 pm /4 pm to 6 pm
- Tuesday to Saturday from 11am to 2 pm / 3 pm to 6 pm Sunday from 10 am to 11.15 am / 12.15 pm to 3 pm
Sunday June 19
from 10 am to 12.45 pm/13 pm to 3 pm
* The hours of the Basilica may be modified due to the needs of the liturgy.
- General: 3€
- Reduced: 2,50€ for people over 65 years old, between 6 and 16 years old, students under 25 years old, disabled people and Carnet Jove.
- Groups (more than 25 people): 1,50€ per person
- Free entrance for children under 6 years accompanied by an adult and accredited teachers
It can only be purchased at the box office. Advance ticket not available. Only cash payments.
Audio guide 360º audio guide, more information at http://elsports.es/es/cami-de-conquesta-2/app-cami-de-conquesta/